Below are the news, notes, and highlights from the most recent Medical Student Council (MSC) meeting on Feb. 20, courtesy of MSC Secretary, Dessi Moneva:
- Wednesday, February 26: IUSM Trustee Teaching Awards: Call for Nominees – We need your help identifying IUSM’s best teachers! ~55 outstanding teachers will receive the prestigious award this year. Nominate eligible faculty online by the deadline above. Direct any questions to email@example.com.
- Friday, Feb 28: Deadline for MS2’s to submit rotation campus preference forms on Oncourse. With Muncie expanding to 3rd and 4th year programs this June, all 9 centers will offer 4 years of training. If you happen to submit the form incorrectly, contact Parth Patel (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- End of February: The book drive for Indy Reads may even continue accepting books after that. Boxes are in Daly and the Library. Please do not remove books from the boxes! Centers can ship books to Indy for free – contact Alyssa Bolduan (email@example.com) or John Parish (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- March 5: MS4’s MUST RSVP by this date to attend the Match Day Party (not the ceremony).
- March 10 and April 14: Upcoming deadlines for Educational Enhancement Grants (EEG) – $500 travel awards to attend/present at a conference. More info here.
- March 25, 6-8:30pm, IUPUI Hine Hall Ballroom – Operation: MEDS (Medical students Exploring Different Specialties), sponsored by the IUSM Alumni Association. Appetizers and a cash bar will be available. Register here.
- April 5: Spring House Calls – This is a great opportunity for centers to come to Indy as teams!
- April 8: Shave the Date Carnival – This year we’re teaming up with GPSG to make it a campus-wide carnival! To get involved, contact Michael Maurer (email@example.com).
- April 18: IUSM Social Media Contest – Find the rules here. Email entries to Shannon Osborne (firstname.lastname@example.org) by the date above. Also, please note IUSM’s Social Media policy.
- 2 new SIGs were approved: Association of Women’s Surgeons (AWS) SIG and Neurosurgery SIG. 2 new MSC-appointed committees were approved: Medical Undergraduate Mentoring PartnerShip (MUMPS) and Finding Inspiration and Resilience in Medicine (FIRM) Conference. The Leadership in Medicine Elective will not be using MSC Interview Day to select students. MSC also voted in support of the Sierra Club Campaign to retire the coal power plant in Indianapolis.
- Iatrogenesis is now On Call! Check out their new website and Twitter! On Call will be teaming up with MSC to bring you the latest information about student events! The On Call team is also looking for student contributions – contact them at email@example.com.
- The annual Gold Humanism Award (sponsored by the Organization of Student Representatives) honors a medical school faculty physician who exemplifies the qualities of a caring and compassionate mentor in the teaching and advising of medical students. To nominate a faculty member, contact Neil Keshvani (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Art Contest sponsored by the Graduate and Professional Student Government (GPSG) – theme is student life at IUPUI, and the prize is $100. Apply here.
- Look for an email soon about Match Day T-shirts. It is Luau themed and anyone can buy them, not just MS4’s!
- If you are already involved in a mentoring project for undergrads or high school students (we want to build a statewide network!), want to start one, or otherwise wish to get involved with MUMPS, contact Phil Forys (email@example.com) or Guy Crowder (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Contact Parth Patel (email@example.com) to let him know what component(s) of Indy’s course representative project may be applicable to you.
The MSC website can be found here.